Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Be Still

Last week I began a routine of going for a walk at 6:00am not only for exercise but also to spend time in communication with God.  The cool air wakes me up and I start my day focused on God and His work in my life for the coming day.  The walk takes me just over thirty minutes and I usually spend the entirety of it speaking to God.  But last Sunday was different.  Halfway through my walk God spoke to me.  It wasn't an audible voice but it might as well have been.  God said, "Shut up!"  I was a bit startled to say the least.  But as I looked up to the horizon ahead of me I say the sun rising.  It wasn't spectacular.  Honestly, I've seen better.  But it was as if God was telling me that I talk too much to Him and don't spend nearly enough time listening to Him.  And in that moment I was enthralled at the thought that I was alive one more day.  I was breathing in and out.  I had another day to live for Him.  What a privilege and honor to live one more day for God.

Later, during the morning service, some sang the song "Be Still" by Steven Curtis Chapman.  I've always loved that song but that morning it held more meaning.  I had heard God tell me to slow down, stop talking, and know that He is God of me and all the world around me.
Psalm 46:8-11 (ESV) 8 Come, behold the works of the Lord, how he has brought desolations on the earth. 9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire. 10 “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” 11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
God is above all things.  In this world we spend too much time being busy.  I get worried about the day to come or how my schedule will work out to spend enough time doing ministry with the church and my family.  When will I take time to dig into God's Word for personal spiritual growth?  Do I have time to visit that family in the hospital?  When do I get a break?

God is in control.  He makes wars to cease.  He breaks down armies.  He is sovereign over all things on this earth.  So be still and know that He is God.  He is our refuge.  He is out fortress.  He is our all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...