Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Restraining the Lips

Proverbs 10:19 (ESV) When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

As a pastor I must confess that I enjoy hearing myself speak.  This enjoyment tends to get me in trouble at times because I don't think before I speak.  This is nothing new for me.  As a young boy I was known by my other to be honest with what comes out of my mouth.  She would frequently come to me and ask the same question, "How does this shirt/dress/outfit look on me?"  And being the young, inexperienced young man that I was I would answer honestly.  Many times the answer was positive, but every once in a while it would be negative.  Where my father, the wise man as he is, would refuse to answer I would jump right in and give my opinion.  Well, why not?  She wouldn't ask me if she didn't want the truth, right?

Years have passed and though I have grown to hold my tongue more often, it continues to get me in trouble.  A man who restrains his lips is prudent or wise.  But the man who uses many words will only allow his sinfulness to rear its ugly head. 

God, may you give me the ability to hold my tongue.  Restrain my sinfulness and let my words be few.  For Your glory, Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...