Monday, March 7, 2011

Imitation of Christ

Ephesians 5:1-2 (ESV) 1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

When it comes to my fellow believers do I follow the example of Christ?  Christ gave his life up, sacrificed all he was, for his children.  Paul urges us to act the same for our fellow believers.  This goes beyond being cordial on Sunday morning or waving hello when we pass in the street.  This is a deep, intimate, sacrificial love for my brothers and sisters in Christ.

There are so many times in life where my focus is on my needs and desires above anyone else's, including Christ's.  I'm not proud of it, but it is reality and I must be honest with myself.  This can especially be a struggle for anyone in the ministry.  You are on call 24/7 and when there is a need (whether it be unlocking the front door of the church building or visiting a family who just lost a loved one) you are expected to jump up without complaint or problem.  After all, isn't this what we are paid to do?  Yes, I get paid for being a pastor and the expectations of people are always there, but I am also human and being pulled away from my family time or sleep time can be hard to bear at times. 

How would Jesus react to such a situation?  How did Jesus react to such a situation?  Time and time again Jesus made time for the people seeking healing or asking questions.  Yes, he did make time for himself, but even much of this "alone" time was in prayer with his Heavenly Father.  We are implored by Paul to love as God loved, giving himself up for the sake of his glory and his children.  Am I willing to do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...