Friday, February 4, 2011

Revelation of Myself Through Prayers

Romans 2:1-5 (ESV) 1 Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things. 2 We know that the judgment of God rightly falls on those who practice such things. 3 Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? 5 But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed.
Why do we so often fail in our prayer life?  Why is it a difficult task for us to spend any significant amount of time in prayer to our creator?  I'm sure there are many answers to these questions given by many different people, but I have found an answer that was so obvious I couldn't see it right in front of my face. 

The people that Paul is writing to in Romans 2:1-5 obviously have a problem.  They are judging people for acts that they are doing themselves.  They are condemning others when they should be looking at their own life and seeing that they are as much condemned.  While they are judging others God is judging them.  Quite a statement.

I have found that I struggle in my prayer life because the closer I get to Christ the more sin is revealed to me.  The more I know of the Father the more unworthy I become because my heart is revealed, my condemnation is seen.  So, to keep myself from this I tend to be shallow in my prayers and my penitent heart is not to be seen.  But no more.

O God of Grace,
Thou hast imputed my sin to my substitute,
     and hast imputed his righteousness to my soul.
     clothing me with a bridegroom's robe,
     decking me with jewels of holiness.
But in my Christian walk I am still in rags;
     my best prayers are stained with sin;
     my penitential tears are so much impurity;
     my confessions of wrong are so many aggravations of sin;
     my receiving the Spirit is tinctured with selfishness.

I need to repent of my repentance;
I need my tears to be washed;
I have no robe to bring to cover my sins,
     no loom to weave my own righteousness;
I am always standing clothed in filthy garments,
     and by grace am always receiving change of raiment,
     for thous dost always justify the ungodly;
I am always going into the far country,
     and always returning home as a prodigal,
     always saying, Father, forgive me,
     and thou art always bringing forth the best robe.
Every morning let me wear it,
     every evening return in it,
     go out to the day's work in it,
     be married in it,
     be wound in death in it,
     stand before the great white throne in it,
     enter heaven in it shining as the sun.
Grant me never to lose sight of
     the exceeding sinfulness of sin,
     the exceeding righteousness of salvation,
     the exceeding glory of Christ,
     the exceeding beauty of holiness,
     the exceeding wonder of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...