Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Heart Exposed

Colossians 2:4-5 (ESV) 4 I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments. 5 For though I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the firmness of your faith in Christ.
I have to admit that I have been exposed.  In going to God this morning I have exposed my true heart and desires to Him who knows me best.  And if I was honest with myself and Him I would have to say that I hate it.  I hate it because to have my true nature and heart revealed is painful and humiliating.  When my true heart and desires where exposed clearly for my own eyes I realized one thing: I am not satisfied with Christ. 

My desire for food has overtaken my desire for God.  I would rather be gluttonous than listen to the voice of God telling me what I am doing to His temple.  I would rather allow the lusts of my heart control me than listen to the voice of God telling me what is happening to my relationship with the God of the universe.  My heart is exposed. 

John Calvin wrote, "Those who are not satisfied with Christ are exposed to all fallacies and deceptions."  I have believed in fallacies and deceptions more than the word of God and in doing so I have revealed my dissatisfaction with Christ.  I do not say this lightly because I do understand the implications of this revelation.  When our hearts are exposed to us we see us for who we truly are: sinful, arrogant, selfish, and utterly depraved.  We need Christ for more than salvation.  At the cross He paid for my sins but His work does not end there.  I have been justified by grace but sanctified daily through the exposure of my heart.

I am praying that my heart stays firm on Christ and that every day my true nature is exposed to Him who continues to sanctify me.  My prayer is that you can do the same.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...