Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Joy and Glory

1 Thessalonians 3:7-8 (ESV)
". . . for this reason, brothers, in all our distress and affliction we have been comforted about you through your faith.  For now we live, if you are standing fast in the Lord."

What is my motivation for doing this job?  What is my motivation for staying focused on Christ and His work in my life?  Why do I continue to believe in Christ as my Savior and Lord?  Why do I live?

There are a number of answers for all of these questions: I'm called to be in ministry, I love helping people grow in Christ, I couldn't do anything else, I like the flexible hours, I like working with people, etc.  But Paul gives an interesting answer.  Why do Paul, Silas, and Timothy live?  Because those they lead to Christ "are standing fast in the Lord."

No one would argue whether Paul had a difficult life or not.  He truly understood what persecution was and what it was like to survive it.  But Paul, in essence, says that all the trials, troubles, persecution, "distress and affliction" were worth it because of the faith of the believers in Thessalonica.  He tried and tried to see those believers again but was prevented in seeing them because of the work of "Satan."  But when Paul found out that they had been standing firm in the faith he rejoiced by saying, "For you are our glory and joy" (1 Thesssalonians 2:20; ESV). 

Now, there is a danger in taking this passage the wrong way.  Isn't Christ to be given the glory and not us?  Yes.  Are we to find our glory and joy in those around us?  Yes.  Paul is not putting himself and his glory first in this passage.  His main focus is on the work of Christ in the believers.  But because those believers stayed firm in the faith, rejecting the temptations of the "tempter" Paul can rejoice and find his glory and joy in their faithfulness to Christ.  Christ is still the center of it all.

Where is my joy found?  I can give the normal Sunday School response, Jesus.  But that seems like it should be an obvious answer.  Do I find my joy and glory in those God has used me to have a more authentic relationship with Christ?  I can tell you that when I hear from individuals in this church who desire to be more authentic, real, and relational in their faith it does my heart good.  When someone writes me a note or makes the effort to tell me that the words I spoke in a sermon or Bible Study had an affect on them it does my heart good.  Not because I'm such a good pastor or speaker, but because God is using my simple words to do a profound work.  Those people are my joy and glory because their faith is focused on the glory of God.  Amen and amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...