Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Full Disclosure

In 2 Kings 5:20-27, Gehazi, the servant of Elisha, deceives Naaman and takes money and clothes from him. When he gets back home Elisha asks where he has been. Gehazi of course lies and tells him that he he has gone nowhere. Because of this lie and his deceit against Naaman Gehazi and his descendants had leprosy "forever" (vs 27).

I am still studying accountability and this week I will begin a type of accountability relationship with two other men from the church. I am very much looking forward to it, but I am also have a little trepidation because I am the pastor. There have been times in my past that I revealed a little about the things I need accountability for and have been burned.

So, here is my question of the day: How deep do I get into this accountability relationship? My devotional today reads, "Accountability without full disclosure is a waste of time." That sounds all good, but do I take a leap of faith, disclosing some personal issues that I may need accountability for with the full realization that it may come back in bite me in the butt? This issue is more difficult than I gave it credit for. If I don't give full disclosure am I even receiving the benefits of the relationship?

1 comment:

  1. First thought: depth of accountability is based on mutuality and consistency. The longer you meet the deeper your friendship/accountability goes and the more open you are with one another the deeper your friendship goes.

    Second thought: I think the "one another's" of scripture might have something to say to your accountability group.

    and (as usual) John Piper has a resource for just this thing... a full list of resources here.

    ReplyDelete

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...