Friday, April 15, 2016

Dining on the Bread of Life

“In the 1930s the most famous living author was William Somerset Maugham.  He was an accomplished novelist, a great playwright, and a short story writer.

“In 1965 Maugham was ninety-one years old and fabulously wealthy.  Royalties were continuing to pour in from all over the world despite the fact that he had not written a word in years. . . He was experiencing incredible success.  But how did Maugham respond to his success?  What had it brought to his life?”

An article written by Maugham’s nephew after he visited his uncle before his death gives some insight.

“I looked round the drawing room at the immensely valuable furniture and pictures and objects that Willie’s success had enabled him to acquire. . . Willie had 11 servants . . . He dined on silver plates . . . But it no longer meant anything to him.  The following afternoon, I found Willie reclining on a sofa, peering through his spectacles at a Bible which had very large print.  He looked horribly wizened, and his face was grim. ‘I’ve been reading the Bible you gave me . . . and I’ve come across the quotation: “What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his soul?”  I must tell you, my dear Robin, that the text used to hang opposite my bed when I was a child . . . Of course, it’s all a lot of bunk.  But the thought is quite interesting all the same.’  That evening, in the drawing room after dinner, Willie flung himself down onto the sofa.  ‘Oh, Robin, I’m so tired . . .’  He gave a gulp and buried his head in his hands.  ‘I’ve been a failure the whole way through my life,’ he said.  ‘I’ve made mistake after mistake.  I’ve made a hash of everything.’  I tried to comfort him  ‘You’re the most famous writer alive.  Surely that means something?’  ‘I wish I’d never written a single word,’ he answered.  ‘It’s brought me nothing but misery. . . .Everyone who’s got to know me well has ended up by hating me. . . . My whole life has been a failure. . . . And now it’s too late to change.  It’s too late. . . .’  Willie looked up, and his grip tightened on my hands.  He was staring towards the floor.  His face was contorted with fear, and he was trembling violently.  Willie’s face was ashen as he stared in horror ahead of him.  Suddenly, he began to shriek.  ‘Go away!’ he cried.  ‘I’m not ready. . . .  I’m not dead yet. . . . I’m not dead yet, I tell you. . . .’  His high-pitched, terror-struck voice seemed to echo from wall to wall.  I looked around, but the room was empty as before.  ‘There’s no one there, Willie.’  Willie began to gasp hysterically” (R. Kent Hughes).

Join us this week at ElmCreek Community Church as we look at what John 6:22-59 tells us about Jesus being the Bread of life and the joy of having eternal life through Him alone. 

Striving to know Christ and make Him known,

Pastor Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...