Friday, October 9, 2015

The Sign of Christ's Authority


When in college I made the mistake of asking God to show me a sign of His power.  Perhaps He could open my eyes to see one of His angels in all its splendor.  Needless to say, he denied my request.  But He also taught me a valuable lesson in trusting Him.

What would urge me to make such a request?  Were there doubts in my mind of whether God was powerful enough to fulfill my request?  Did I just desire to see something unbelievable?  Or was I questioning if God was real?

After Jesus drove the money-changers and animal-sellers from the temple the authorities asked Jesus to provide a sign of His authority to do such an act.  Jesus’ answer throws them for a loop and they miss His point entirely.  Jesus tells them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”  But He wasn’t talking about  a building.

What would a sign do for the faith of the authorities?  How would a sign reveal Jesus’ true nature as the Messiah?  Join us this week at ElmCreek Community Church as we wrestle with these and other questions, seeking to understand the character of the Messiah.

Striving to know Christ and make Him known,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...