Monday, December 15, 2014

J.C. Ryle: Our Love of Christ and Our Future Salvation

"The words which John Bunyan puts in the mouth of Mr. Standfast, as he stood in the river of death, are very beautiful.  He said, 'This river has been a terror to many; yes, the thoughts of it also have often frightened me.  But now methinks I stand easy: my foot is fixed upon that on which the feet of the priests that bear the ark stood while Israel went over Jordan.  The waters indeed are to the palate bitter, and to the stomach cold; yet the thoughts of what I am going to, and of the convoy that waits for me on the other side, lie as a glowing coal at my heart.  I see myself now at the end of my journey; my toilsome days are ended.  I am going to see that head which was crowned with thorns, and that face which was spit upon for me.  I have formerly lived by hearing and faith, but now I go where I shall live by sight, and be with Him in whose company I delight myself.  I have loved to hear my Lord spoken of; and wherever I have seen the print of His shoe in the earth, there I have coveted to set my foot, too.  His name has been to me a civet-box; yes, sweeter than all perfumes!
 His voice to me has been most sweet; and His countenance I have more desired than those who have desired the light of the sun!'  Happy are those who know something of this experience!  He that would be in tune for heaven must know something of love to Christ.  He that dies ignorant of that love had better never have been born."

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...