Saturday, August 9, 2014

J.C. Ryle: The Foundation Upon Which the Church is Built

"The Lord Jesus Christ tells us, 'Upon this rock will I build My Church.'  This is the Foundation upon which the Church is built.  What did the Lord Jesus Christ mean, when He spoke of this foundation?  Did He mean the apostle Peter, to whom He was speaking?  I think assuredly not.  I can see no reason, if He meant Peter, why He did not say, 'Upon you will I build My Church.'  If He had meant Peter, He would surely have said, 'I will build My Church on you,' as plainly as He said, 'To you will I give the keys.'  No, it was not the person of the apostle Peter, but the good confession which the apostle had just made!  It was not Peter, the erring, unstable man, but the mighty truth which the Father had revealed to Peter.  It was the truth concerning Jesus Christ Himself which was the rock.  It was Christ's mediatorship, and Christ's Messiahship.  It was the blessed truth that Jesus was the promised Savior, the true Surety, the real Intercessor between God and man.  This was the rock, and this the foundation, upon which the Church of Christ was to be built."

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...