Friday, April 11, 2014

The Reward for Endurance

In June of 2012 I ran a sprint triathlon.  I had never done such a thing before in my life and so I trained for months before the race.  My only goal was to finish the race without making a trip to the emergency room.  I knew that it would be difficult to run such a race, but my mind also convinced me that it wouldn’t be as hard as I thought.  That misconception changed as soon as I got out the water from the half-mile swim and slowly (and I do mean slowly) got on my bike for a 13.1 mile ride.  The realization of how wrong I was became even more apparent when I began running on my wobbling legs.  I still remember the feeling of utter exhaustion when crossing the finish line.  The interesting thing about this and any other race is that there is only one winner.  I certainly endured each of the events in this race, but only on person took home the crown of first place.
 
Around two thousand years ago the God-man Jesus Christ came to earth and entered the city of Jerusalem hailed as the Messiah who brings salvation.  One week later he was hung upon a cross for the salvation of the world. 
 
This week, we will be studying the words of James 1:12.  In this passage James speaks to the believer who has endured trials which have threatened to steer them away from their faith in Christ Jesus.  In an athletic race only the fastest can be crowned, but in the race of faith in Christ it is the one who endures who receives the reward of the crown. 
 
What is this crown?  What do the words of James and the act of Jesus that fateful week have to do with each other?  What does this passage teach us about faith, trials, and endurance through those trials?
 
Before our time together on Sunday morning may God prepare us to hear His words through his servant James and may those words do a work within our own hearts and lives as His disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...