Friday, November 15, 2013

Gospel-centered Resolve

Maria and Varia, 18 years old, U.S.S.R., 1960s
From behind bars Varia said, “If they would free me, I would do it again and tell them about the great love of Jesus. Don’t think that I suffer. I am very glad that the Lord loves me so much and gave me the joy to endure for His name.”

Varia and her friend Maria were two Russian classmates. Because of Maria’s love for her, Varia became a Christian.

At a school assembly, Varia witnessed to those gathered about Jesus her Savior. Afterwards, Varia was taken away and imprisoned in a Siberian labor camp. She wrote the following words to her friend Maria:

“My heart praises and thanks God that, through you, He showed me the way to salvation. Now, being on this way, my life has a purpose and I know where to go and for whom I suffer. If feel the desire to tell and to witness to everybody about the great joy of salvation that I have in my heart. At work, they curse and punish me, giving me extra work because I cannot be silent. I must tell everyone what the Lord has done for me. As long as my lips can speak, I will witness to every one about His great love.” (Jesus Freaks, pgs. 100-102)

Varia was willing to endure much pain, suffering, and persecution for sake of the gospel message.  We find that same resolve in the life of Paul.  Acts 22:1-20 is the testimony of Paul given to the Jews who were trying to kill him.  He knew that his witness of God’s work in his life would not go over well with many of those who listened.  But he had to tell it none the less.  Paul, and Varia, had a gospel-centered resolve.  They were not confident in their flesh.  Their confidence came from their Savior, the gospel message come to life.

Where do we put our confidence and strength?  As disciples of Christ does our resolve to preach the Good News come from our flesh or from the Gospel itself?  May we be prepared to hear the Spirit’s movement in our own hearts and lives as we study His Word together this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...