Friday, May 27, 2011

Gospel-Centered Funerals

I remember my very first funeral I ever conducted.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I got all my advice from a little booklet that I bought during my time at seminary and I realized quickly that my time at seminary did nothing to prepare me for this.  In fact, the seminary I attended encouraged us not to share the Gospel at funerals as it would be awkward for those not knowing Christ.  Of course I immediately disagreed with the thought because the Gospel, I believe, needs to be the center of all I do as a pastor, no matter how it makes people feel.

A few weeks ago I came across the 9Marks blog post that addresses this exact issue.  How does a pastor handle different funeral situations and keep the Gospel at the core of the message?  This is something I struggle with each and every time I conduct a funeral.  Check out the post below.  I plan on buying the suggested book and make it a vital part of my personal library.

Conducting Gospel-Centered Funerals


Today I received an email from a woman to whom our church has been reaching out. She was asking if I'd be willing to lead a memorial service for her friend's mother who had recently passed.

Of course, I said "Yes". Who would pass up a gospel opportunity like that? But then I had that moment (not uncommon in my expierience of ministry) where I realize that I'm not sure about the next steps to take.
So, I was ridiculously glad to receive in the mail a new book by my friends Brian Croft (of 9Marks blogging fame) and Phil Newtown: Conduct Gospel-Centered Funerals. I've already read it, and it's very, very good.
Given the dynamics of my church, I do 50 weddings for every funeral that I conduct. To be honest, I don't have a ton of experience. And so I greatly appreciate how specific the book's counsel is. If you want advice on how to appropriately eulogize an adult with mental handicaps who was not known to you, there's a section in the book for that. I'm not joking... and it's good advice too!
If you're ever called on to take part in funerals, this is a great resource to help you think through how to love people and shine the gospel clearly in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...