Friday, April 22, 2011

Remembering God's Grace

Genesis 21:1-2 (ESV)
1 The Lord visited Sarah as he had said, and the Lord did to Sarah as he had promised. 2 And Sarah conceived and bore Abraham a son in his old age at the time of which God had spoken to him.


I am currently preaching through the book of Genesis in our Sunday morning worship services.  I was tempted, as many pastors are, to step away from Genesis during this Easter season to preach on one of the Gospels and the story of the death and resurrection of Christ.  But the more I thought about doing this the more I felt I needed to stay in Genesis, though I wasn't sure how it would work out.  You know how that is.  Mother's Day comes up and inevitably the passage you are suppose to preach on is the death of Jezebel.  Doesn't really work.

But it is also amazing how God works through passages you never thought would be perfect for Easter.  This Sunday I will be preaching on Genesis 21:1-7; the birth of Isaac.  And my-o-my how amazed I was at how this tied into Easter.  God's grace is shown to Abraham and Sarah through giving them a son.  They did not deserve such a gift, but God gave them Isaac in order to put the covenant promise into action.  The birth of Isaac was only the beginning of the promise God made to Abraham years before, but how would the nations be blessed through Abraham?

Just as God's grace was given to Abraham and Sarah so that same grace would be extended to those who believe in His Son, Jesus of Nazareth, as their Savior, Redeemer, Treasure, and Lord.  We do not deserve His Son.  But the grace of God is given, anyway.  Isn't that the meaning of grace?  It is an undeserved gift that is given to those unworthy of it. 

It is given to me.  May I never forget to worship and praise the Great Giver of Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...