Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spiritual Forces of Darkness

I often repeat a phrase that I heard a number of years ago.  "Ministry would be much easier if people weren't involved."  People are messy.  People are dirty.  And it's difficult to do ministry when messy, dirty people get in the way.  There are times when things don't go as planned which often happens when people get involved.

But there is another side to the above statement that I also often repeat.  "But without people there would be no ministry."  It is a good reminder that one reason we are here is to love and serve Christ by loving and serving those around us.  It is a greater reminder that people are not our enemy.  Ministry can be frustrating because the people are frustrating, but our fight is not with people.  Paul says this very clearly to the church Ephesus.
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil int he heavenly places."  (Ephesians 6:12)
When ministry become messy or dirty because of the people involved (including myself) I must remember that my battle is not with people but with the Enemy.  People in my church, town, and area are enslaved to the dark spiritual forces of this world.  My fight is with these forces.  And this allows me to see people not as burdens but as people fighting temptation and sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...