Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Fascinating Battle Between Flesh and Spirit

1 John 2:15 (ESV) 
 Do not love the world or the things in the world.

This is a very plain and simple admonition to seek God first in all things.  The "world" here is a system of rebellion and pride that seeks to dethrone God in my life.  And this world system is a constant threat to a believer's walk in Christ.

It has always fascinated me to observe the battle of my flesh and the Spirit within me.  1 John 2:17 reads,
"And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever."
The battle within me has been fascinating because as a believer I know that the things of this world will pass away, but the desire of the flesh within me towards the world is strong.  More often than not I give into my flesh and in a way dethrone God from my life at that moment.  But there is One who is greater than my flesh and the desires of this world.  There is no five-step process to defeating the world.  There is only One who can defeat the world.  And one can say that the one-step process is to believe with all my heart, mind, and soul that Jesus is Lord.  Then my life will truly follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...