Tuesday, February 22, 2011

God The All

O God whose will conquers all,
There is no comfort in anything apart from enjoying you
     and being engaged in your service;
Thou are All in all, and all enjoyments are what
     to me you made them, and no more.
I am well pleased with your will, whatever it is,
     or should be in all respects,
And if you bid me decide for myself in any affair,
     I would choose to refer all to you,
     for you are infinitely wise and cannot do amiss,
     as I am in danger of doing.
I rejoice to think that all things are at your disposal,
     and it delights me to leave them there.
Then prayer turns wholly into praise,
     and all I can do is to adore and bless you.
What shall I give you for all you benefits?
     I am in a strait between two, knowing not what to do;
I long to make some return, but have nothing to offer,
     and can only rejoice that you do all,
     that none in heaven or on earth shares your honor;
I can of myself do nothing  to glorify your blessed name,
     but I can through grace cheerfully surrender soul and body to you,
I know that you are the author and finisher of faith,
     that the whole work of redemption is yours alone,
     that every good work or thought found in me
        is the effect of your power and grace,
     that you sole motive in working in me to will
        and to do is for your good pleasure.
O God, it is amazing that men can talk so much
     about man's creaturely power and goodness,
     when, if you did not hold us back every
     moment, we should be devils incarnate.
This, by bitter experience, you have taught me
     concerning myself.

          (The Valley of Vision, Puritan Prayers and Devotions)

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...