Monday, October 18, 2010

An "Eloquent" Preacher

I have a distinct memory of a class in seminary called "Sen Prep" where we watched videos of famous preachers, took notes, and studied multiple techniques in giving a message.  I cannot say that it was a waste because I very much learned what my preferred style of preaching was.  But I do have to say that many of the books we read on sermon preparation were not all that helpful.  Many are still on my shelf waiting to be sent to others via EBay.

Over the past two years of preaching on a weekly basis I have begun to understand that I really have no idea what I am doing.  I don't feel prepared enough.  I don't feel that I have relied on the Spirit enough.  I don't feel that I have spoken the words of my messages well enough to be comprehended on a deep spiritual level.  In other words, I needed some help with my preaching.  Maybe you know the feeling.

So, at last year's Desiring God Conference for Pastors I picked up a book called The Supremacy of God in Preaching by John Piper.  I finally actually have begun to read it recently and came across a quotation about Jonathan Edwards's preaching style.  A man was asked if Edwards was an eloquent preacher.  Here is his response:

"He had no studied varieties of the voice, and no strong emphasis.  he scarcely gestured, or even moved; and he made no attempt by the elegance of his style, or the beauty of his pictures, to gratify the taste, and fascinate the imagination.  But, if you mean by eloquence, the power of presenting an important truth before an audience, with overwhelming weight of argument, and with such intenseness of feeling, that the whole soul of the speaker is thrown into every part of the conception and delivery; so that the solemn attention of the whole audience is riveted, from the beginning to the close, and impressions are left that cannot be effaced; Mr. Edwards was the most eloquent man I ever heard speak."

What a testimony!  Oh, to preach with such power of the Spirit and to have such a testimony about my preaching.  May the words that come from my mouth each week proclaim the truth of the gospel not with words to please itching ears but with words that God uses to bring people from the brink of Hell into his loving arms.

1 comment:

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...