Friday, August 21, 2009

I Fail Because It's Not About Me

Last Sunday I had an interesting conversation with an individual (I'll call him John) attending the morning worship service. I have had great theological conversations with him in the past and so I trust him and know that the words he speaks are not to nit-pick but to better be able to express the truth of Christ correctly. In my sermon last week I mentioned that we need to strive to live for Christ in such a way that those around us can see the power and work of the Holy Spirit in and through us (or something to that affect). John came up after the service and mentioned that I used the wrong words to explain my point even though he understood what I was trying to say. He suggested that instead of using the word "strive" I should use the word "yield."

After my initial annoyance of his semantic display I began to understand and agree with his point. Striving puts all the work and effort on my part. We do strive in a sense to live for Christ, but the focus should not be on us but on God. To use the word yield places the work on Christ and the Holy Spirit. It's as if to say that I am submitting myself to Christ, yielding to his dominion over me.

Why am I bringing this us? Through the course of my short life on earth I have struggled with my weight. I went to the doctor last Monday for my first full physical since high school. The doctor said overall I was very healthy, but that I needed to lose some weight (like 50 lbs.) and work out for six days a week or I would have some real trouble when I turned forty. So, over the past three days I have been watching what I eat and trying to exercise every day. I have done this in the past and succeeded but only because I had someone else pushing me. Once that person was no longer involved in keeping me accountable I would fall back into my old habits.

I feel that I am doing well in keeping myself accountable, but I also get the sense that I a attempting to do this on my own strength and effort. As much as I try not to rely on myself I feel I can easily fall back on my old habits once I feel like not working out or want ten pieces of pizza. So, how do I yield to Christ in this effort instead of striving to follow Christ? How do I submit to Him in this? Overall this is a very simple aspect of my life compared to my salvation and sanctification. So, if I can't yield to Him in this part of my life how can I expect to yield to Him in others?

In the mean time, I will continue to work on yielding even though I know there is no simple answer and yielding is never really easy. Is yielding like sanctification? Is it a process?

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. Yielding isn't something I've thought about...it's been about striving. And you're right, that puts the effort on my part to try to do it right. Somehow yielding seems so much easier. There is less pressure. Thanks for posting this morning!

    ReplyDelete

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...