Friday, June 12, 2009

Do I love my wife as much as I love myself?

Ephesians 5:25-27 (NIV)
"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless."

It is commonly said that this section in Ephesians reveals that the relationship between husband and wife is an illustration of the relationship between Christ and the Church. But what if it was opposite. Instead, what if we thought about the relationship between Christ and the Church is an example to live by as husband and wife.

I will be the first to admit that I miss the mark many times as a husband. As I read Ephesians 5 this morning I saw the many notes and markings in my Bible I have made over the past years. One of them was a question next to verse 26. The question reads, "Do I do this for Kati?" In other words, Christ made the church holy through his sacrificial offering of himself. Do I give myself up for her? Do I make her holy through my sacrifices for her?

Now, I understand that there is nothing I can do to really make her holy in the eyes of the Lord. I cannot save her, but do I treat her with the utmost respect, sacrificing myself and giving myself up for her? Do I love her as a radiant bride?

It is very easy for me to be selfish in my marriage. I deal with some things during the day that are difficult emotionally and spiritually and most of the time I want to come home and veg in front of the TV. But I instead need to meet the needs of my wife and love her as much as I love myself.

Christ gave himself up for the glory of the Father and through his love for his Church. Am I willing to do the same for my wife?

1 comment:

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...