Friday, April 3, 2009

Why am I not like Paul?

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you." (James 4:7-8; NIV)

Last Wednesday night I had someone from the congregation come in and ask me about the spiritual gifts that are mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12-13. Here is just a few found in that passage: apostles, prophets, teachers, workers of miracles, healing, helps, administration, and speaking in different kinds of tongues (1 Corinthians 12:28; NIV). The question that was asked is whether these gifts still exist. Ahhhh, that question. Well, I gave her the normal answer, "Who am I to say that they don't. I don't see anywhere in scripture that they end." But then I came back with this question: What is the difference between Paul and us? Besides the fact that Paul was commissioned by Christ in person and he was an apostle, what is the difference between him and me?

The verse above brought up that same question when I read it this morning. "Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." That seems simple enough. So, why can't I live the life of Paul and resist the devil to the point and strength of Paul? He obviously had either more faith than me or more Spirit because I am not even close to living the life of Paul. But Paul had the same Spirit that I have. God does not change. So, why was Paul able to preach, have a guy fall out of a window, Paul go outside, bring him back to life, go back upstairs, and continue preaching?

Okay, so there are a lot of questions in this one. But seriously, what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...