Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Me of Little (or No) Faith

Matthew 17:19-20 (NIV)
Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, "Why couldn't we drive it out?" He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

I have never really understood the meaning of and power through this verse. Usually, I would say that we all need faith in God and through that faith we can do great things. But somehow I feel that that response is more focused on me than on God.

In this passage Jesus is flatly telling the disciples that they had no faith. They were relying on their own power rather than tapping into the power of God. Jesus doesn't say that only those with great faith can accomplish anything. He says that anyone with any type of faith (as small as a grain of mustard seed and as large as a mountain) can do great things when that faith is focused on the power of God.

"Faith is not a measurable commodity but a relationship, and what achieves results through prayer is not a superior 'quantity' of faith but he unlimited power of God on which faith, any faith, can draw" (R.T. France). I'm not a huge R.T. France fan, but he has explained this in a way I can better understand. And it puts the focus not on the faith or the person with faith, but completely on the unlimited power of God.

So, does this mean I have no faith at times in my life? I would have to say a resounding YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...