Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Reaping the Rewards

"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." (Galatians 6:7)

I have made the decision to place this verse on the door to my office so that every time I open the door I am reminded that what I do today I will reap tomorrow or sooner. Isn't that so true.

It is not a secret that I am struggling with my weight. I will have to say that I have placed food so far above God in my life that it at times I hear the voice of God and I ignore it. Yes, I am a pastor and I am ignoring the voice of God. There, now it's out in the open.

But at the same time I am very aware that I am purposely ignoring God and I am ashamed of it. Every time I take put that extra piece of food in my mouth beyond the moment I am full is another piece of evidence that God does not have complete control over my life. And I am ashamed.

But the nice thing about God, He hasn't given up on my yet. The verse above is a conviction and a praise. If I eat poorly I will reap the rewards through heart disease, diabetes, bad cholesterol, or any other number of ailments that could end my life prematurely. But if I eat healthily, I will reap the rewards of a healthy body and having more years with my children.

I want to be here for my children, but even more I want my life to be a reflection of God's glory to those around me. As a pastor I will be held accountable for my actions. I will reap what I sow. But that doesn't have to be a thing not to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

    Only if we bring it out into the light can there be help, healing, offered and accepted...

    ReplyDelete

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...