Friday, February 6, 2009

The All-Bible-Knowing, All-Bible-Understanding Pastor

"For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisers make victory sure." (Proverbs 11:14)

In my high school youth group there was one sponsor who seemed to hold my attention completely. I respected her devotion to Christ and there were many times I would go to her for advice. It always seemed that the words from her mouth were exactly what God wanted me to hear at that moment. I honestly believe that without her advice I would not be the person I am today. After eleven years still call her every once in a while to catch up and hear her advice on life.

Now that I am older and in full-time ministry it seems that I have lost that need for advice. Well, at least it seems that I must put on the facade of not needing advice. I remember one professor in seminary telling the class that when we graduate we will be considered experts on the Bible. That statement in itself is a self-fulfilling prophecy. As a pastor I have put up a wall that only other pastors may enter, but is that enough? Do I need to put up a mask of an all-Bible-knowing, all-Bible-understanding pastor in order to do ministry?

Proverbs clearly states that we need to reveal our humanness to those around us. There is a limit, of course, but we can bring trustworthy, Godly people into our life to help us to follow the will of God more intimately and glorify Him abundantly. David did not hesitate to listen to those around him who were trustworthy. Are we better than David that we can go things alone? If a man after God's own heart revealed to others the reality that he didn't know everything than why can't we as pastors?

I find that it is very easy to show my humanness. The difficult thing is to put the mask on and become something I am not, perfect.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your posts, Mark. They are honest and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete

John Calvin on the Unity and Distinction of the Trinity

"The Scriptures demonstrate that there is some distinction between the Father and the Word, the Word and the Spirit; but the magnitude ...